Sunday, August 18, 2013

Sam's Accident

Thank you to everyone that has been sending prayers, good thoughts, and love towards Sam, Allison, and their family.  We thought this might be the easiest way for everyone to receive updates on Sam's condition.  For those of you that still don't know what's going on- Sam was in a biking accident Saturday morning while participating in a triathlon.  We still don't know all the exact details, but we know that Sam crashed, flipped over a guard rail and fell into a ravine.  Sam was taken to Harborview Medical Center and is currently in the ICU.  So far, we know that Sam has crushed/broken ribs, a broken arm, a broken shoulder blade, a collapsed/lacerated/and punctured lung, and possibly some neck and head injuries.  They are monitoring his brain and lungs very closely.  He is currently heavily sedated due to the collapsed lung and will most likely stay sedated for several days.  They are trying to decide whether or not to do surgery on his damaged lung.

Thank you again for your continued prayers and positive thoughts.  I know it is very comforting to Allison and the kids to know that you are all cheering for Sam.  We will try to keep this updated with any new information as soon as we get it.

-Katie (Allison's sister)

4 comments:

  1. https://www.facebook.com/notes/jeremy-scott-peters/what-happened-february-29-2012/10151540517072309

    My prayers are with him and his family. Last year while riding my bike I was hit by a car. I had major injuries and was put in an induced coma for a while too. To say the least I have no memory of march of last year and am still working through physical therapy exercises to be able to walk and talk normally again. Believe in miracles. I know I do. God truly is our father in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update. Praying for you Sam and especially you Allison. It will take so much strength to do everything you have been asked to do right now but you are a strong women so I know you can do it. Thanks Katie for setting this up it helps bridge the gap when we're so far away and wondering how he is doing. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love and prayers coming at you from Las Vegas. Love you guys.
    Dana Unguren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, my wife Cathy and I are Lucy's Sunday School teachers. When my nephew was a baby, he contracted the deadly Reyes syndrome, technically "died" several times and had innumerable chest tubes implanted. He was in intensive care for more than a half year, and in a deep drug-induced coma to facilitate lung operation and reduce brain swelling. I would drive to the hospital many nights and sing to Jake. The doctors would tell me not too bother, the coma rendered him unable to perceive such sound. Then the nurses would stick their heads around the corner to tell me to sing ahead --- the vital signs consistently responded with modest but measurable improvement. When Jake finally recovered, we discovered he was (and is) profoundly deaf from the high oxygen levels and perhaps combination of drugs. But now grown, married with kids, when Jake introduces me to his friends and associates, he signs "This is my Uncle Crazy. I love him. I remember him singing to me when I was a baby." So perhaps it wasn't the auditory aspect of song, perhaps it was my love, the prayer of my heart, or the vibrations penetrating and bathing the organs of his body, the muscles and bones. The point is. I love Lucy, Sam and Allison so much, I will do ANYTHING to help Sam to survive and heal if that is in harmony with God's will and plan for him. To that end, I would be pleased and honored to sing to Sam periodically the moment you think it possible, ANY time day or night. Love, Kim Cooney, 425.285.9740. kim.cooney@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete